Ruben Reguera Online Spanish Tutor is a sole proprietorship registered in Barcelona (Spain). I do all the Spanish tutoring personally, and all the extra texts and activities available to my students are written by me.
I am a linguist, philologist, teacher, and a passionate language learner. My Master’s degree is in Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language and my specialist teaching fields are in Linguistics, Second Language Acquisition, Business Spanish, and Cross‐Cultural Communication.
As a linguist, I have a particular curiosity and fascination with communication and understanding how language works. I specialize in teaching the structure, logic, and nuances of Spanish as a second language. In my many years of experience teaching Spanish privately and in institutions, I have taught grammar and writing, phonology and orthography, spelling, pronunciation, language, culture, and many other aspects of the language.
My lessons can help you with Spanish in your professional life, for conversation practice, for preparing for exams, for traveling, and for improving your general knowledge and use of the language.
Using a student‐centered methodology developed through years of teaching experience, including the latest practices in Second Language Acquisition, you will have access to all the tools and resources needed to become a successful Spanish user.
- Second Language Acquisition
- Second Language Teaching and Learning Approaches
- Experiential Learning, Intercultural Competence and Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Teaching Business Spanish
- The Spanish language in the 21st century
- The economic value of the Spanish language
- Spanish and Latin-American studies
- Language, culture and identity
- Neuro-linguistic Programming (NLP)
- Playing guitar and listening to music
- Learning foreign languages
- Fitness and nutrition
- Outdoor activities
- Attending concerts and exhibitions
- Dancing to Latin music
My journey in Spanish education
Born in Sta. Cruz de Tenerife, I grew up in the small and beautiful Andalusian city of Jerez de la Frontera in southern Spain.
From an early age, I developed an interest in other languages, countries and cultures. Besides my native Spanish, I am fluent in English and have always keenly learnt parts of various other languages such as French, Italian, Catalan, Portuguese, German, Dutch, Danish, and Croatian. Learning languages is an endless and ongoing process for me, which I intend to continue for as long as I can.
I graduated from the Universidad de Granada (Spain) in 2005 with a B.A. in English Language, Linguistics and Literature (English Philology). During my university studies, I studied abroad as an exchange student at the University of Aarhus (Denmark) and at the University of Newcastle‐upon‐Tyne (United Kingdom), where I obtained my Master’s degree in Cross‐Cultural Communication and International Relations.
After graduation I worked as an International Media Sales Consultant in Brussels (Belgium) and Zagreb (Croatia) for an independent press agency, producing country reports for international press, television, and advertising agencies. My assignment involved media sales, marketing, and international travel. This position greatly helped me familiarize myself with the practices of cross‐cultural business language and communication at the international level.
I returned to Spain in 2007 to pursue a Master’s Program in Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language at the Universidad de Granada, with a special focus on Second Language Acquisition. During that year I also obtained graduate certificates in Teaching and Training: Introduction to Teaching Spanish (ELE) and in Teaching Spanish for Business Purposes.
I began my teaching career at Centro de Lenguas Modernas de la Universidad de Granada, where I completed my training practice as a teacher of Spanish. After earning my teaching qualifications, I worked in Spain for one year, teaching Spanish in language schools in Granada and in Lanzarote (Canary Islands).
In January 2009 I moved to Adelaide (Australia) to join the Modern Languages Department at Flinders University, where I worked as a lecturer in Spanish Language and Literature for three years, under the sponsorship of the Spanish government.
I taught Spanish in the Australian Higher Education sector for over six years. During this time, I taught speakers of English and other languages at all levels at Flinders University, the University of Adelaide, and the University of South Australia; at language schools (Adelaide Spanish School, The Language Institute, WEA – Workers’ Educational Association of South Australia); at companies (Acciona Aguas, BHP Billiton, Collotype Labels); and privately in person and online to professionals, school students, and corporate clients.
In 2015 I relocated to Barcelona (Spain) and founded my Online Spanish Tutor website, with the aim of continuing to provide high quality Spanish tutoring locally and worldwide through Skype and/or Google Hangouts to adults, young adults, and school children in need of extra support.
- University graduate – BA Hons in English Language, Literature and Linguistics
- Masters in Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language
- Masters in Cross‐Cultural Communication & International Relations
- UGR (University of Granada) qualified to teach Spanish for Business
- Spanish native speaker
- Specialist one‐to‐one teacher
- Specialist exam Spanish teacher
- 8 years total experience in Teaching Spanish as a Second Language
- Spanish Language Teacher – Flinders University, University of Adelaide, University of South Australia (Adelaide, Australia)
- Spanish Language Tutor – Adelaide Spanish School, The Language Institute, WEA (Adelaide, Australia)
- Spanish Business Tutor – Acciona Aguas, BHP Billiton, Collotype Labels (Adelaide, Australia)
- Interpreter & Translator – South Australian Film Corporation (Adelaide, Australia)
- Marker and Examiner ‐ Year 12 Spanish Beginners and Continuers – SACEBOARD [South Australian Certificate of Education] (Adelaide, Australia)
- Lecturer in Spanish Language and Literature – Flinders University (Adelaide, Australia)
- Spanish Language Teacher – La Academia (Lanzarote, Spain)
- Spanish Language & Intercultural Teacher – CELEI (Granada, Spain)
- Trainee Spanish Language Teacher – Centro de Lenguas Modernas at Universidad de Granada (Granada, Spain)
Interesting facts about me
- I have visited 27 countries (and counting) and lived in six of them: Spain, Denmark, United Kingdom, Belgium, Croatia and Australia
- I love Sundays, blues music, reading philosophy & history, and learning the systemic characteristics of linguistics, languages, and modern global issues (international relations, cultures, education, technology, and fast‐moving market places)
- I’m a big fan of the Australian rock band AC/DC
- My favorite cities in the world are Granada and Barcelona